Catio fencing is one of the most important elements when constructing a Catio. Cats, being the curious climbers they are often find ways to jump, climb or leap out of spaces.
Catios, made to be a place of comfort and security for cats, thus must be equipped with the best fencing. Choosing the right fencing ensures the safety and well-being of the cats while also protecting them from outside concerns such as predators, bugs, or thieves.
At Cat Topia, we offer four kinds of fencing: a black vinyl mesh wire pet fencing, a pet screen, or galvanized steel fencing, and a critter fence.
In this article, we will cover each fencing looking at its durability, style, cost, longevity, resistance to critters and insects, and the overall comfort for the cats.
Catio Fence 1: Black Vinyl Mesh Wire Pet Fencing
- Durability: Black vinyl mesh wire fencing is highly durable because it is coated with vinyl which helps protect it from rust, corrosion, scratches and any other damage that could be made from cats. It will ensure keeping your cats safe inside their Catio from outside elements.
- Style: Not as industrial looking as Galvanized steel fencing, but still has an artisanal look.
- Cost: This is one of the more affordable fencing options Cat Topia offers.
- Longevity: With proper care, this fencing can last 10+ years.
- Resistance to Insects and Critters: The fencing itself is resistant to larger animals such as reptiles, and birds, but with its large meshed design insects can get in and out easily.
- Overall Comfort for Cats: This fencing is known to be a high quality fencing used by animal lovers to help keep them safe inside their enclosure. Overall, cats will be untroubled and comfortable inside a Catio built with this fencing.
Catio Fence 2: Cat Resistant Pet Screen
- Durability: Pet screens known to stand up to the wear and tear of climbing cats. They are constructed from a solid polyester material that will stand up to cats’ scratching.
- Style: If you do not like the artisanal look of traditional wired fencing, but prefer a sleek finish, a pet screen could be for you. The mesh is much denser compared to other fencing, but still allows visibility for the cats to see outside of the Catio.
- Cost: More expensive than Black Vinyl Mesh Wire and Galvanized Steel fencing but has many added beneftis such as its resistance to insects and cat scratching.
- Longevity: Considering normal wear and tear, this should last 8 to 10 years.
- Resistance to Critters and Insects: Resistant to bugs, insects, reptiles, and rodents. This is great news for the kitties! If you live in an area with coyotes or other large predators we would recommend pairing this pet screen with another fencing option.
- Overall Comfort for Cats: This fencing is rated very high in this category because not only is it built to keep insects and bugs out, but also has UV protection. It is made from strong vinyl polyester making it more resistant to tears from claws or climbing. This product is designed with animals in mind so we know the kitties will be happy and comfortable with this choice.
Catio Fence 3: Galvanized Steel Fencing
- Durability: Steel is known to be one of the most durable materials for fencing. It is resistant to corrosion and mold which makes it a great fencing choice for a Catio.
- Style: This fence is your typical chain link fence. It has an industrial look to it, but no bells and whistles.
- Cost: This fencing is a very affordable choice for a Catio. It is less expensive than the pet screen or the black vinyl mesh wire fencing.
- Longevity: Steel, being a compound metal, can resist to elements for many years and will stand the test of time! This fencing could more than 10 years.
- Resistance to Insects and Critters: This fencing is great for keeping other critters out of the Catio such as predators for cats (coyotes, foxes, racoons). However, galvanized steel fencing will not keep insects or bugs out of the Catio.
- Overall Comfort for Cats: Cats will feel at home in a Catio that has galvanized steel fencing. They can see outside very easily, feel the elements and have a true sense of being in the nature. However, it is important to note that this fencing is not built with a cat in mind like the pet fencing or pet screen.
Catio Fence 4: Black Steel Critter Fence
- Durability: Built from a very strong plastic that is non-toxic to all animals, this fencing is very durable (corrosion-proof) flexible and strong.
- Style: This fencing is black with smaller grids. It is simple and sleek looking.
- Cost: A bit more expensive, but it keeps all critters out of the Catio.
- Longevity: With proper care, this fencing can last 30+ years.
- Resistance to Insects and Critters: With its smaller mesh designs and strong material, this fencing ensures that critters such as deer, birds, and rodents will stay out of the Catio!
- Overall Comfort for Cats: Like the Cat resistant pet screen, we give this a high rating in the comfort category because it ensures the safety of the cat from all predators and outdoor critters.
Q: Can I combine 2 or more fencing types in my Catio?
Absolutley! We recommend combining the pet screen with another fence type such as the black vinyl mesh wire fencing or galvanized steel fencing. The pet screen would be placed on the outside of the Catio to resist against insects and bugs. The black vinyl fencing or the steel fencing serves as a second barrier ensuring protection from predators.
Q: How do I clean my pet fencing?
All of our fencing options are easy to clean! For the black vinyl mesh wire pet fencing and the galvanized steel fencing you can clean often with soap and warm water to get any grime off. For the pet screen, you can feel free to clean with a mild soapy solution, but please avoid any hard scrubbing as it is vinyl.
Q: I have a lot of insects and critters nearby, what is the best fencing option?
The pet screen is sure to keep insects and bugs out of your Catio.
The critter fencing is a good option if you want to ensure that larger rodents, birds, or other animals do not enter the Catio.
Q: Will my small cat be able to escape from catio fencing?
Our fencing options are highly customizable so you can select the size you know is small enough that your cat can’t squeeze through. However, if you have kittens we would recommend you go with our smaller mesh fencing options or wait until they’re older and bigger before introducing them to the catio.
Q: Are all you fencing types compatible with your lumber types?
At Cat Topia, we have three types of different lumber: pressure treated lumber, cedar lumber, and redwood lumber. All of our fencing can be used with any lumber and we are happy to customize the Catio that fits your cat or cats' needs.
Table of Contents Bubby and Mariah are two adorable cats that love their catio, but it was not always like that! Bubby, previously a stray,
Catio Fencing Catio fencing is one of the most important elements when constructing a Catio. Cats, being the curious climbers they are often find ways